CELTA - Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
CELTA is an initial teaching qualification for new teachers, or those without a formal qualification, who are working in language centres or in compulsory education.
The course consists of 120 hours of intensive study over four weeks. Additional time is required for lesson preparation and written assignments. Candidates are strongly recommended to devote 100% of their time to the course.
|CEFR level requirement||Between C1 and C2 or above|
|Format||Full time: Face-to-face course with teaching practice|
|Assessment||● Written assignments
● Assessed teaching practice
● Should have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken.
● C2 or, at least C1+ level of English on the CEFR scale is required.
● In some cases candidates will be asked to provide additional evidence of their language ability (e.g. language proficiency certificates).
● A standard of education that would allow you entry to Higher Education in your country.
● Be at least 20 years old by the start date of the course.
CELTA covers five key topics:
1. Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
2.Language analysis and awareness
3. Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
4. Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
5. Developing teaching skills and professionalism
● 100% attendance is required.
● Trainees’ written assignments, lesson planning and teaching practice all contribute to their final grade.
Application for the course
● Obtain application form and pre-interview task by contacting our centre
● The application form and pre-interview task must be completed and returned to the centre for consideration before any arrangements can be made for an interview.
●In some cases candidates may be asked to revise their application before the interview.